Frosted Pumpkin Doughnuts
"Our three children grew pumpkins to sell," explains Connie Simon of Reed City, Michigan. "During harvest, it was time to make these scrumptious doughnuts. The orange frosting is super."
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and butter until smooth. Beat in
- pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda,
- salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to pumpkin mixture
- alternately with milk. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll to 3/8-in.