Frosted Pumpkin Doughnuts Recipe
"Our three children grew pumpkins to sell," explains Connie Simon of Reed City, Michigan. "During harvest, it was time to make these scrumptious doughnuts. The orange frosting is super."
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and butter until smooth. Beat in pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to pumpkin mixture alternately with milk. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll to 3/8-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry , a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine frosting ingredients; spread over cooled doughnuts. Yield: about 3 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC