"Our three children grew pumpkins to sell," explains Connie Simon of Reed City, Michigan. "During harvest, it was time to make these scrumptious doughnuts. The orange frosting is super."
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and butter until smooth. Beat in pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to pumpkin mixture alternately with milk. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll to 3/8-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry , a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine frosting ingredients; spread over cooled doughnuts. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Pumpkin Doughnuts in Taste of Home October/November 1999, p8
Reviews for Frosted Pumpkin Doughnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review