Frosted Pumpkin Cranberry Bars Recipe
With tangy dried cranberries tucked inside and a creamy brown butter frosting, these mildly spiced pumpkin bars are doubly delightful. It's a good thing the recipe makes lots, because once you taste one, you won't be able to resist going back for more! -Barbara Nowakowski, Mesa, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
- BROWN BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin and butter; stir into dry ingredients until well combined. Stir in cranberries.
- 2. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a large heavy saucepan, cook butter over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Pour into a large bowl; beat in the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost bars. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 130 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 96 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC