With tangy dried cranberries tucked inside and a creamy brown butter frosting, these mildly spiced pumpkin bars are doubly delightful. It's a good thing the recipe makes lots, because once you taste one, you won't be able to resist going back for more! -Barbara Nowakowski, Mesa, Arizona
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
- BROWN BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin and butter; stir into dry ingredients until well combined. Stir in cranberries.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large heavy saucepan, cook butter over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Pour into a large bowl; beat in the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost bars. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Pumpkin Cranberry Bars in Taste of Home October/November 2002, p27
Reviews for Frosted Pumpkin Cranberry Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review