Frosted Pumpkin Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped dates
- CARAMEL FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans and dates.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, for frosting, combine the butter, brown sugar and milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in maple flavoring and vanilla.
- Cool slightly; beat in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve spreading consistency. Remove cookies to wire racks; frost while warm. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Pumpkin Cookies(17)
Sort By :
I made these with gluten free flour and everyone loves them. Going to try and freeze them to see how that works out. Didn't have the dates or nuts so I made them without. Didn't have maple flavoring but tastes amazing with just pure vanilla extract.
I took some to the neighbor and she couldn't stop raving about them.
I had difficulty with the frosting. It set too quickly. I think 3 minutes is to long to boil the brown sugar/butter mixture. The consistency is similar to fudge. It does have a nice flavor.
The first time I made these I halved the recipe thinking I didn't need that many cookies. BAD IDEA! The next day I made the full recipe and wished I had doubled it. I took some to work and they disappeared immediately with rave reviews. I sent some to work with hubby for his employees and had several send compliments galore! I've been making double recipes of these ever since. I ship them off as gifts and have requests from folks to "never be removed from the cookie list". They are the best cookie EVER even for those who don't care for pumpkin!
This is a very tasty cookie a tad to much lard for me.. But still like them alot..
No sticking problems. something is missing. did you forget an ingredient. there are no eggs.