Frosted Poppy Seed Cookies Recipe
Poppy seeds add an unexpected touch—and a fun crunch—to these golden frosted cookies.—Mary Jackson, Germantown, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:66 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Colored sprinkles and colored sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in poppy seeds. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a heavily floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Lightly frost centers of cookies; sprinkle with colored sprinkles or colored sugar if desired. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC