Frosted Pineapple Lemon Gelatin Recipe
A refreshing, summery treat, this dessert incorporates ginger ale to add a zesty bite. —Penny Burpeau, Londonderry, New Hampshire
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lemon gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups ginger ale, chilled
- 2 large firm bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in the ginger ale, bananas and reserved pineapple. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Refrigerate until firm.
- 2. For topping, combine sugar and flour in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in reserved pineapple juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool to room temperature.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into custard. Spread over gelatin. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 250 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC