- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream the peanut butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost bars.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Peanut Butter Bars
Sort By :
Very good! I took pcronk's advice and sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top instead of the topping. Also used butter-flavored shortening.
Too much shortening. I thought it had trans fat in it!
This is one of my favorite recipes! It was in the TOH cookbook received as a wedding gift. SO rich but SO good! Love the dense brownie-like texture. I usually don't put the drizzle on.
Made this recipe many times for the residents at the Assisted Living Facility I worked at.... they were a hit with young and old alike!!!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >