These sweet, chewy peanut butter bars are a great no-fuss treat to bring to a potluck or bake sale. A drizzle of chocolate on top makes for a pretty presentation. —Sharon Smith, Muskegon, Michigan
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream the peanut butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost bars.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Peanut Butter Bars in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p54
Reviews for Frosted Peanut Butter Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review