Frosted Orange Salad Recipe
Pineapple, bananas and marshmallows are folded into orange Jell-O in this refreshing salad. Frosted with a creamy topping, pecans and coconut, this yummy dish is a real crowd-pleaser. I have been making it for years. -Anna Jean Key, Muskogee, Oklahoma
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling YIELD:12 servings
- 3 packages (3 ounces each) orange gelatin
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 3 cups cold water
- 4 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Stir the cold water, bananas, marshmallows and pineapple into gelatin.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray; refrigerate until firm.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into the egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cool.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in
- 6. cooled filling. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over gelatin (dish will be full). Sprinkle with nuts and coconut. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 369 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC