Frosted Orange Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar flour and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the juices and orange and lemon peel. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Pour into pastry shell. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes.
- Spread over chilled pie. Just before serving, sprinkle with coconut. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Frosted Orange Pie in Taste of Home June/July 1998, p27
Reviews for Frosted Orange Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 1, 2011
"iT TASTES GREAT , LOOKS GREAT GOOD HOLIDAY PIE, I WOULD DEFINITELY MAKE IT AGAIN"