Frosted Orange Cookies Recipe
"I remember my dad making a big batch of these citrus cookies when I was growing up," writes Tammie Young from Mattoon, Illinois. "They're very moist and have a wonderful old-fashioned taste."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. With a sharp knife, score each orange into quarters; remove peel. Use knife to remove white pith from peel and fruit; discard. Quarter oranges and place in a blender. Add peel; cover and process until smooth (mixture should measure 3/4 cup).
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and 6 tablespoons orange mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended.
- 3. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. For frosting, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter and enough of the remaining orange mixture to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 168 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC