- 2 medium navel oranges
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- With a sharp knife, score each orange into quarters; remove peel. Use knife to remove white pith from peel and fruit; discard. Quarter oranges and place in a blender. Add peel; cover and process until smooth (mixture should measure 3/4 cup).
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and 6 tablespoons orange mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter and enough of the remaining orange mixture to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Orange Cookies
Sort By :
"Followed the recipe exactly. Best orange cookie recipe I've ever made....YUM!"
"Very good cookies! The kids love them too."
"I made these cookies for the first time several years ago from an issue of Quick Cooking. I got RAVE reviews and they are my most requested cookie whenever I bake! These are not too sweet and have lots of flavor. Absolutely delicious!"
"Does this recipe call for eggs? None were listed."