- 2 medium navel oranges
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- With a sharp knife, score each orange into quarters; remove peel. Use knife to remove white pith from peel and fruit; discard. Quarter oranges and place in a blender. Add peel; cover and process until smooth (mixture should measure 3/4 cup).
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and 6 tablespoons orange mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter and enough of the remaining orange mixture to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Orange Cookies
"Excellent light citrus taste. I made these exactly as written the first time, but cut the frosting quantity in half the next time, as there was way too much of it. Friends and family love these cookies and asked for the recipe."
"My husband loves these cookies. They are so flavorful and good.Definitely a keeper at my house."
"I made mine with leftover clementines...yum...cookie stays soft and not too sweet except of course for the frosting!"
"Followed the recipe exactly. Best orange cookie recipe I've ever made....YUM!"
"Very good cookies! The kids love them too."