Frosted Nutmeg Log Cookies Recipe
"This is my son's favorite Christmas cookie. It is a very old recipe that I have used many times." These delightful gems have great nutmeg flavor and are a perfect way to ring in the holidays. – Janie Colle, Hutchinson, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough into three portions. Roll each portion into 3/4-in.-thick logs; cut into 2-in. pieces. Place on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly.
- 3. Bake at 350°, for 12-16 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost cookies. Press down with tines of a fork, making lines down frosting to simulate tree bark. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cookie equals 148 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC