- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, molasses and vanilla. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and allspice; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and ginger. Add milk; beat until light and fluffy. Spread over cookies. Decorate with sprinkles if desired. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Molasses Spice Cookies
Sort By :
"I wanted to add that be sure to double the frosting. You will not have enough if you don't!"
"I just ate one warm, and I am slightly disappointed. I expected more of a spice flavor. This recipe needs tweaking. Not enough spice flavor for a molasses cookie. I like the texture, but the flavor is lacking. I hope they are better with icing. Not sure I would bother making these unless I tweaked the recipe."
"These cookies are wonderful! They are so soft and have a great flavor. The frosting makes them extra special. They are one of my top 5 Christmas cookies for sure!"
"these cookies are so moist and delicious. A favorite holiday addition."