Frosted Mocha Cake Recipe
When creating the Mocha Snack Cake, our Test Kitchen used a combination of sugar and sugar substitute for the best taste and texture while still cutting calories and carbs. They also used fruit puree, in this case prune baby food, in place of some of the oil in the cake. This savings allowed them to use full-fat whipped topping in the frosting.
- 3/4 cup sugar blend
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 container (2-1/2 ounces) prune baby food
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup cold strong brewed coffee
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipped topping
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; beat until well blended. In a small bowl, combine milk and coffee. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture alternately with milk mixture.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in hot water. Stir in vanilla. Place whipped topping in a large bowl; gently fold in coffee mixture. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Frosted Mocha Cake in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p62
Reviews for Frosted Mocha Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review