- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound lean ground pork
- 1/4 pound fully cooked ground ham
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, bread crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and paprika. Add ground beef, pork and ham; mix well. Pat meat mixture into a 7-1/2-in. x 3-3/4-in. x 2-1/4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Drain. Invert meat loaf onto a heat-proof platter.
- In a bowl, combine frosting ingredients. Cover top and sides of meat loaf with frosting mixture. Place under a preheated broiler; broil until lightly browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Frosted Meat Loaf in Country Ground Beef 1993, p28
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Frosted Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 17, 2009
"You can bake the meatloaf in a pie plate and then frost it with the mashed potatoes and sprinke the cheddar cheese on top for a pretty presentationMetallographer"