- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Halved red candied cherries, optional
- Cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla and maple flavoring. Whisk flour, salt and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, until easy to handle, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. With floured 2-in. round cookie cutters, cut out 18 circles. Repeat with 1-1/2-in. and 1-in. round cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 7-9 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; transfer frosting to bag. To assemble cookies, place a 2-in. cookie on waxed paper. Pipe frosting over cookie. Top with a 1-1/2-in. cookie; pipe. Top with a 1-inch cookie; pipe. If desired, top with candied cherries. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Maple Pyramids in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p83
Reviews for Frosted Maple Pyramids
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review