Frosted Maple Cookies Recipe
Living in New England, I've come to appreciate the unique qualities of our area. Many people here enjoy the flavor of maple in their recipes, and I love this adaptation of an old favorite.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon maple flavoring
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in sour cream and maple flavoring. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
- 3. For frosting, in a small saucepan, heat butter over low heat until golden brown. Remove from the heat; blend in confectioners' sugar, maple flavoring and enough water to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: 4 dozen (2-1/2-inch cookies).
1 serving (2 each) equals 294 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC