Frosted Ginger Creams Recipe
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water (dough will be soft).
- 2. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 7-8 minutes or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and enough lemon juice to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 130 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.