- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water (dough will be soft).
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 7-8 minutes or until tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and enough lemon juice to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Ginger Creams in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p89
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Frosted Ginger Creams
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2010
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2009
"these are a 5 star recipe if you change the shortening to butter the sugar to dark brown sugar and the water to buttermilk"