Frosted Fruit Gelatin Dessert Recipe
"I created this dessert for my mom, who is unable to have artificial sweeteners," notes Erika Niehoff from Eveleth, Minnesota. “The nice red color and creamy top are appealing to my whole family while being low in sugar, too.”
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cranberry juice, divided
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1-1/2 cups sliced firm bananas
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- Measure 1-1/8 teaspoons gelatin; set aside for topping. In a small saucepan, sprinkle remaining gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Cook over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 cups cranberry juice and orange juice.
- Place the pineapple and bananas in an 8-in. square dish coated with cooking spray. Pour juice mixture over fruit. Cover and refrigerate for 45-60 minutes or until firm.
- For topping, in a small saucepan, sprinkle reserved gelatin over remaining cranberry juice; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring until completely dissolved. Place the yogurt in a bowl; stir in cranberry mixture. Spread over gelatin. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Frosted Fruit Gelatin Dessert in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p13
Reviews for Frosted Fruit Gelatin Dessert(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 12, 2011
I'm not too sure of the calorie or sugar count for this dessert as there is a lot of sugar in cranberry juice.
More Recipe Collections
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Gelatin Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Jello Desserts >
- Jello Gelatin Recipes >
- Kids Desserts >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >