My husband loves the creamy richness of eggnog, so I use it for the cookie dough and the buttercream icing. Top each one with a sprinkle of nutmeg.—Joan Sarge, Asheville, NC
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggnog and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in eggnog and vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over cookies; sprinkle with additional nutmeg.
- Freeze option: Transfer dough to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator until soft enough to roll. Prepare, bake and decorate as directed. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Eggnog Cutout Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2015, p15
Reviews for Frosted Eggnog Cutout Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review