I love to take the grandchildren searching for walnuts in the woods around our house. These bars are real people pleasers, especially among men.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts.
- Divide batter in half. Stir chocolate into one portion; spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread remaining batter evenly over top.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach spreading consistency. Frost brownies; cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Double-Decker Brownies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p85
Reviews for Frosted Double Decker Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review