Frosted Cocoa Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 13-16 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and extract. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cookies. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 357 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Frosted Cocoa Cookies
"Wonderful flavor!! The hint of almond in these chocolate cookies makes them taste so good you can't eat just one. I spread the frosting rather than drizzle it on and it was just the right amount. This is one of our favorite chocolate cookies."
"I didn't make the frosting, but as for the cookie, right out of oven it was fine but once they cooled they were very dry. I even took some out before they were totally done and they still dried up. Even my chocolate-loving husband did not like them."
"I really didn't like the flavor or consistency."
"This is an excellent cookie!! It tastes as good as it looks. I would recommend a stand mixer to mix the cookie dough with as it is a large recipe and a hand mixer wasn't quite enough. Also, the icing makes WAY to much for this recipe. I got 38 cookies from one batch and had more than half my icing left over."
"These cookies looked perfect on the plate, but as for taste, if it weren't for the frosting they were not that good."
"I made these for my husband and myself and they are delicious. The frosting is excellant"
"Love these cookies. Good flavor, have them with a big glass of milk."