Nothing is as wonderful as a homemade chocolate cake. It is fancy enough to serve to guests and will be sure to impress them.—Mary Lewis, Escondido, California
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat in chocolate until combined.
- Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, bring cocoa and milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cake and spread quickly. Let stand until set. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Favorite Chocolate Sheet Cake in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2008, p608
Reviews for Frosted Chocolate Sheet Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 11, 2012
"I have made this cake several times and it is always a hit. I love being able to tell people that I made it from scratch."
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2011
"Very good, I would make it again."