- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat in chocolate until combined.
- Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, bring cocoa and milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cake and spread quickly. Let stand until set. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Favorite Chocolate Sheet Cake in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2008, p608
Reviews for Frosted Chocolate Sheet Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 11, 2012
I have made this cake several times and it is always a hit. I love being able to tell people that I made it from scratch.
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2011
Very good, I would make it again.