My five brothers and I lost our mother when we were young, so we started cooking at an early age. Being successful in the kitchen is easy with tried-and-true recipes like this.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, 1/4 teaspoon salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons juice. Pat cherries dry. Shape 1 tablespoon of dough around each cherry. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks.
- For frosting, in a saucepan, heat chocolate chips and milk until chips are melted; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat. Add reserved cherry juice and remaining salt. Frost cookies. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p96
Reviews for Frosted Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review