- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, 1/4 teaspoon salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons juice. Pat cherries dry. Shape 1 tablespoon of dough around each cherry. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks.
- For frosting, in a saucepan, heat chocolate chips and milk until chips are melted; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat. Add reserved cherry juice and remaining salt. Frost cookies. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Chocolate Cherry Cookies
"I made these for the first time several years ago. I made them again last week and now wonder why I don't make them all the time! It's the most delicious chewy brownie outside with a cherry center! These are awesome."
"When I was in Home Econonics class we made cookies similiar to these but we dipped them in pink icing which shaped them like candy kisses and they were called "Pink Surprises". I loaned by recipe book and it was never returned. These were the best cookies and so pretty. I will have to make these and see how close they come to the recipe I lost."