Frosted Cashew Cookies Recipe
Meet the Cook: It was my sister's sister-in-law who discovered this recipe. We enjoy the cookies at Christmas, but they're rich and elegant for a special coffee and can be tucked in a field lunch box besides. Three years ago, I entered them at our country fair. They won a blue ribbon and were named grand champion. I'm a homemaker, runner for parts on our grain farm and helper with cattle. My husband and I have two boys, a college freshman and a sixth grader. -Sheila Wyum, Rutland, North Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon each baking powder, baking soda and salt
- 1-1/2 cups salted cashews, coarsely chopped
- BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional cashew halves, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg, sour cream and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cashews.
- 2. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For the frosting, lightly brown butter in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat; add cream and vanilla. Beat in confectioners' sugar until thick and smooth. Frost cookies. Top each with a cashew half if desired. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 348 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 381 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC