Frosted Butterfly Cake
Our Test Kitchen bakers predict the colorful cake they created will set taste buds aflutter and give your next gathering a springtime lift.
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 individual cream-filled sponge cake
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Red shoestring licorice
- Assorted candies of your choice
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions, using two
- greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for
- 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
- racks to cool completely.
- Cut one cake in half widthwise. (Save the second cake for another
- use.) Cut a notch from the center of each cut side to define outer
- edges of wings. Cut corners of wings so they are slightly rounded.
- Let cake stand for 2 hours.
- On a serving platter, position cake halves on each side of sponge
- cake. Frost top and sides of butterfly with chocolate frosting. Cut
- licorice into two small pieces; push ends into top of sponge cake
- for antennae. Decorate with candies. Yield: 8 servings.