Frosted Butterfly Cake Recipe
Our Test Kitchen bakers predict the colorful cake they created will set taste buds aflutter and give your next gathering a springtime lift.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 individual cream-filled sponge cake
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Red shoestring licorice
- Assorted candies of your choice
- 1. Prepare cake batter according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. Cut one cake in half widthwise. (Save the second cake for another use.) Cut a notch from the center of each cut side to define outer edges of wings. Cut corners of wings so they are slightly rounded. Let cake stand for 2 hours.
- 3. On a serving platter, position cake halves on each side of sponge cake. Frost top and sides of butterfly with chocolate frosting. Cut licorice into two small pieces; push ends into top of sponge cake for antennae. Decorate with candies. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC