- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Prepared vanilla frosting
- Food coloring and decorating sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in flour.Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Tint frosting with food coloring if desired. Frost cookies. Decorate as desired. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Butter Cookies
"Melty flaky butter cookies! Wow. I would not chill the dough though, it made it too hard and I had to let it sit out for ages before shaping into balls."
"These cookies are my families favorite. I've made this cookie since I found in the magazine years ago. I always chill the dough overnight. Much easier to handle."
"These are the best cookies!! Very easy recipe, with just a few ingredients. We love them!"