Frosted Blackberry Cake Recipe
Ann Kelly of Gallatin, Tennessee takes advantage of boxed mixes to bake this moist berry-flavored cake. "My husband and I started watching our fat and sugar intake, so I made several changes to the original recipe to come up with this lighter version," she says. "It's best prepared the day before serving, and it freezes well, too."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free raspberry gelatin
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1 jar (10 ounces) seedless blackberry spreadable fruit
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix and gelatin. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, egg substitute, spreadable fruit, applesauce and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Pour into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients until smooth. Spread over cooled cake. Yield: 20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 272 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC