- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- LEMON BUTTER FROSTING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons mashed ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Banana Cupcakes
"Made these today and they taste very good. I did have a problem with the icing. It was so liquidy that the icing was just sliding right off the cupcake. Everything was cool. The cupcakes cooled for at least 2 hours before I had a chance to frost them. I didn't have a problem with them rising. They cupcake it self turned out perfect. I love the taste of these.."
"I added half a teaspoon of cinnamon. WOW!!! Didn't try the icing, but I am SO excited to find this recipe! I'll never tell anyone where I got it though, it's that good."
"The cupcakes were moist and flavorful. However, they didn't rise very well and were essentially flat. I also had to say the icing was runny. I had to add more sugar, which made them very sweet. I also only added 1 tsp. lemon juice because I saw how runny the consistency was going to be. So, added more lemon juice and more sugar. I think if I make these again, I will make cream cheese icing and maybe add banana to it. I agree with another rater, they weren't very attractive."
"These were perfect! I can't imagine how this icing came out runny. It was fluffy and simply lovely. Thank you for this one!"
"Delicious! The hint of lemon in the frosting is quite a yummy surprise too!"