Frosted Banana Cupcakes Recipe
Go bananas with baking…especially when you have a bunch to use up. Ripe bananas are the secret to these down-home cupcakes. They look, smell and taste the best! —Jane Dearing, North Liberty, Indiana
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- LEMON BUTTER FROSTING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons mashed ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 cupcake equals 270 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 168 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC