Frittelle di Riso Recipe
- 7-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar and honey, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in sugar and milk. Refrigerate until chilled. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, baking powder, salt and vanilla; add to rice mixture. Stir in flour.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Shape tablespoonfuls of rice mixture into 2-in. oval shapes. Fry ovals, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and drizzle with honey if desired. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 fritter (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 88 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 37 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.