Frijoles y Chorizo
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
16 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + soaking Cook: 2 hours
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 serrano peppers
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound uncooked chorizo, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a
- boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand
- for 1 hour.
- Place peppers on a baking sheet; broil 4 in. from the heat until
- skins blister, about 4 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter
- turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened.
- Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15
- minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds.
- Chop peppers and set aside.
- Drain and rinse pinto beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the
- Dutch oven. Add 6 cups water and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are