Friendship Soup Mix Recipe
- 1/2 cup dried green split peas
- 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked alphabet pasta or other small pasta
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a 1-1/2-pint jar, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. Wrap pasta in a small sheet of plastic wrap; add to jar. Seal tightly. Store in a cool dry place for up to 3 months.
- 2. To prepare soup: Remove pasta from jar and set aside. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and soup mix; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the reserved pasta; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pasta, peas, barley and lentils are tender. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts) per batch.
1 cup: 165 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 meat.
Reviews for Friendship Soup Mix
"I didnt do the whole put in a jar and give away thing... I just made the pot of soup. It was so good. Im usually "unsatisfied" when it comes to soup, yes its filling, but always makes me feel as if something was missing. This didnt make me feel like that. Was ready to eat in just under an hour, start to finish. In all honesty, I did add 1/2 cup cooked navy beans and 1/2 cup adzuki beans I had precooked in the fridge. Mostly just to extend the amount of finished product. I also used fresh onion instead of dried. Other then that, made no changes and dont think I would change anything in the future either. Will make again, and may do the gift thing with some in fiture."
"This is one of the easiest and tastiest soups I have ever made. I received the jar at a Yankee Swap. I'd make the jars to give as gifts, and, I'd make some for myself. My husband loves it."
"Very good flavor. I used Italian sausage to make tiny meatballs instead of hamburger. My husband really liked this one!"
"My family loves this recipe!! We've given jars of the soup mix to family and friends and they've all enjoyed it. Serve it with a green salad and crunchy sour dough rolls-yummy!"
"My children and I had a great time making this soup in jars and giving it as a gift for Christmas.Several family memebers called us saying how much they enjoyed the soup."