Frieda's Molasses Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light molasses or sorghum
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, water and vinegar. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; beat into creamed mixture. Cover and chill for 3 hours.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter, drinking glass or decorative cutter dipped in flour. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Do not overbake. Yield: 6-7 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 158 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Frieda's Molasses Cookies
"These are delicious! I didn't have time to roll out the cookies so I simply rolled them into balls after chilling, rolled the balls in sugar and used a fork to press them down onto the pan. It worked great!"