Fried Walleye with Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 cups ice water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 pounds walleye fillets, cut into 6 pieces
- Lemon wedges
- 1. In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients; chill until serving.
- 2. For fish, in a shallow bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the ice water and 2 tablespoons oil; whisk into the dry ingredients just until smooth.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Dip fillets in batter, turning to coat; allow excess batter to drip off. Fry fillets, a few at a time, for 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce and lemon. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
1 fillet with 3 tablespoons sauce: 601 calories, 45g fat (5g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein
Reviews for Fried Walleye with Tartar Sauce
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.