Fried Sweet Potato Pies Recipe
Meet the Cook: With my dad being a farmer who grew them, sweet potatoes have graced our table for as long as I can recall. These, though, resulted from an experiment at a church bake sale when we had excess pastry. People couldn't get enough! -Marilyn Moseley, Toccoa, Georgia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:25 servings
- 4-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine eggs and milk; add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and chill several hours.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the seven filling ingredients; stir until smooth. Divide the dough into 25 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 5-in. circle. Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork 4-5 times.
- 3. In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry pies, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 25 pies.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC