Fried Sweet Potato Pies Recipe
- 4-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine eggs and milk; add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and chill several hours.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the seven filling ingredients; stir until smooth. Divide the dough into 25 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 5-in. circle. Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork 4-5 times.
- 3. In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry pies, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 25 pies.
Reviews for Fried Sweet Potato Pies
"Absolutely wonderful!!!! We baked ours and loved them!!!!!"
"These taste wonderful! My only concern is whether the eggs actually get cooked, since the pies are only fried for a minute or so on each side."
"Oh goodness I'm in pure heaven! These are delicious!!! My husbands mama use to make these down south and I was tickled to find this recipe so that I could make them for him!"