Fried Sweet Potato Pies
Meet the Cook: With my dad being a farmer who grew them, sweet potatoes have graced our table for as long as I can recall. These, though, resulted from an experiment at a church bake sale when we had excess pastry. People couldn't get enough!
-Marilyn Moseley, Toccoa, Georgia
25 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in shortening until
- mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine eggs and milk; add to crumb
- mixture, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and chill
- several hours.
- In a large bowl, combine the seven filling ingredients; stir until
- smooth. Divide the dough into 25 portions. On a floured surface,