Fried Sweet Potato Pies Recipe
- 4-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine eggs and milk; add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and chill several hours.
- In a large bowl, combine the seven filling ingredients; stir until smooth. Divide the dough into 25 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 5-in. circle. Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork 4-5 times.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry pies, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 25 pies.
Reviews for Fried Sweet Potato Pies
Sort By :
"Absolutely wonderful!!!! We baked ours and loved them!!!!!"
"These taste wonderful! My only concern is whether the eggs actually get cooked, since the pies are only fried for a minute or so on each side."
"Oh goodness I'm in pure heaven! These are delicious!!! My husbands mama use to make these down south and I was tickled to find this recipe so that I could make them for him!"