Fried Squash Blossoms Snack Recipe
Savvy gardeners know that flowers from plants in the squash family make flavorful fare. Remove only the male blossomsthose with thin, trim stemsif you'd also like to harvest some squash. You'll find these to be a treat that's tender on the inside and crisp on the outside.Lynn Buxkemper, Slaton, Texas
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Additional oil for frying
- 12 large freshly picked squash blossoms
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, garlic salt and cumin. In another bowl, beat egg, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients and stir until smooth. In a skillet, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°. Dip blossoms into batter and fry in oil a few at a time until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm until serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Fried Squash Blossoms Snack in Taste of Home April/May 1994, p45
Reviews for Fried Squash Blossoms Snack(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 13, 2011
I've tried lots of recipes and keep coming back to this one since 1995! The cumin gives it such a nice flavor you really can't skip that ingredient! I love these on a BLT! YUM!