My mother used to make a version of this recipe using hominy and salmon. One day I substituted sausage and grits and decided I liked it better than the original.
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Oil for frying
- In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil; slowly add grits, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until very thick; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage until browned; drain. Add sausage and onion to grits; mix well. Spoon into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Chill overnight.
- Remove from pan; cut into 1/2-in. slices. Roll slices in cornmeal. In a large skillet, fry in oil until golden brown on both sides. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Fried Sausage Grits in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p33
Reviews for Fried Sausage Grits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review