Since a lot of delicious onions are grown in our state, they are always part of my menu. This tangy side dish is good with pork and beef. The inspiration for this unusual combination was a prolific apple tree!—Janice Mitchell, Aurora, Colorado
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 large tart red apples, sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Place apples on top of onions. Combine remaining ingredients; sprinkle over apples.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Fried Onions and Apples in Taste of Home June/July 1997, p45
Reviews for Fried Onions and Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review