- 3 large yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 large tart red apples, sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Place apples on top of onions. Combine remaining ingredients; sprinkle over apples.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Fried Onions and Apples
"Excellent and easy! Had them with Country Style Ribs and Creamy Ranch Mac n Cheese. The flavors really enhanced each other. Love TOH!"
"I tried this recipe for the first time! I did make some adjustments to this recipe and instead of butter, I used 2 Tbsp. canola oil with the sliced yellow onions. Instead of brown sugar, i used 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar with 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon. I also used 2 Tbsp. apple cider for this dish and cut the apples into smaller pieces, rather than wedges! I admit that I covered the pan later into the cooking time and I'd stirred the mixture from time to time! This certainly is an unusual dish and was Almanzo Wilder's FAVORITE dish! I ate the whole pan! It's likely that I'll prepare this dish again! I had the time on my hands as I'm alone tonite and just felt like making this dish! Thank you, Sue Davis, for this theme menu and recipes from the Laura Ingalls Wilder series! I have the whole series and it has been fun to read about how both Ma Ingalls and Mother Wilder could be such EXCELLENT cooks/bakers for their families! delowenstein"
"I would never have dreamed o combining apples and onions, but the result was delicious. Thank you for sharing your fine recipe."
"We've been making this side dish for over 10 years now. It's always a favorite, especially with pork chops. Every fall when the apples are in season, we make it several times. I halve the recipe for my smaller family. Yum!"