Fried Onion Rings Recipe
Meet the Cook: Try these as an accompaniment to hamburgers or fried fish, or with steaks on the grill. The recipe's from my mom, and it's one of her most popular. (As a newlywed 15 years ago, I often found myself on the kitchen "hotline" to her!) My husband and I have three children - 9,7 and just about to turn 1. -Marsha Moore, Poplar Bluff, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 15 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. Cut onions into 1/2-in. slices; separate into rings. Place in a bowl; cover with ice water and soak for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine the egg, water, oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne; stir into egg mixture until smooth.
- 3. Drain onion rings; dip into batter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry onion rings, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes one each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4-6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC