Fried Onion Rings with Lime Dipping Sauce Recipe
Field editor Christine Wilson of Sellersville, Pennsylvania shared this appealing appetizer. Sweet Vidalia onion rings are deep-fried to a crispy golden brown, then served with a cool and zesty lime dipping sauce.
- 1 large Vidalia or sweet onion
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- LIME DIPPING SAUCE:
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1. Cut onion into 1/2 in. slices; separate into rings. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne. Combine egg and buttermilk stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Dip onion rings into batter. Fry a few at a time for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels(keep warm in a 300° oven).
- 3. In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with onion rings. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC