- 1 large Vidalia or sweet onion
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- LIME DIPPING SAUCE:
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Cut onion into 1/2 in. slices; separate into rings. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne. Combine egg and buttermilk stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Dip onion rings into batter. Fry a few at a time for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels(keep warm in a 300° oven).
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with onion rings. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Fried Onion Rings with Lime Dipping Sauce
Sort By :
"Not my favorite. Needed more seasoning, tasted like fried flour. Dip was good,didn't have horseradish, that probably would have made the difference. Will probably cut back on the amount of mayo next time, it kind of overpowered the dip. But I will make the dip again. I'll look for a new recipe for the batter, or make some adjustments."