Fried Onion Patties
These crispy patties are a different side dish from the usual potatoes and vegetables. They are wonderful served with a roast or any broiled or grilled meat. The onion flavor is complemented by sage, parsley and hot pepper sauce.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small
- bowl, combine the egg, milk and hot pepper sauce; stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Stir in the onions.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil over medium heat. Drop batter
- by tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry for 2-3
- minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.