These crispy patties are a different side dish from the usual potatoes and vegetables. They are wonderful served with a roast or any broiled or grilled meat. The onion flavor is complemented by sage, parsley and hot pepper sauce.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk and hot pepper sauce; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in the onions.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil over medium heat. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Fried Onion Patties in Country Extra September 2005, p51
Reviews for Fried Onion Patties
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review