Fried Mushrooms Marinara Recipe
Offer this eye-appealing appetizer at your next party and get ready to hand out the recipe. Barbara McCalley of Allison Park, Pennsylvania deep-fries breaded mushrooms before adding them to a bed of spaghetti sauce.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 jar (26 ounces) marinara sauce or meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In a shallow dish, beat eggs and water. Place bread crumbs in another shallow dish. Add mushrooms to the flour mixture; seal bag and shake to coat. Dip in egg mixture, then coat with bread crumbs. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a deep saucepan, electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry mushrooms, six to eight at a time, for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. Pour spaghetti sauce into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with the mushrooms. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC